Ecommerce in Switzerland
Switzerland is a very interesting country in Europe. For example, it hasn’t been in a state of war internationally since 1815, and it also didn’t join the United Nations until 2002. And also quite noticeable: it’s a founding member of the European Free Trade Association and part of the Schengen Area, but it’s not a member of the European Union, nor the European Economic Area. So Switzerland is obviously creating its own path in Europe, while not ignoring the global or European events.
|Population||8.21 million people|
|– % internet users||86,7%|
|Online sales||€8.4 billion (2015)|
|Online stores worth mentioning:||Ricardo.ch, Tutti.ch, Digitec.ch, Microspot.ch and Coop.ch|
- Ecommerce customers in Switzerland
- The ecommerce market in Switzerland
- Big online stores in Switzerland
- Latest ecommerce news from or about Switzerland
Ecommerce customers in Switzerland
Switzerland has quite a high Internet penetration, with 95 percent of the population between 16 and 65 regularly using the internet, and 90 percent of them having shopped online at least once. More males than females use smartphones and tablets for online services in Switzerland: 69% versus 61%. Another study suggests that 55% of the Swiss surveyed is a smartphone user of which 9% uses this device weekly for online shopping. A study by Netcomm Suisse in 2016 shows that the Swiss are only second to the UK in Europe for the amount they spend online each year. Swiss consumers spend €2,149 online annually. The most popular product categories are clothes, transport, books, tickets/reservations and holiday.
Popular online payment methods in Switzerland are paying by invoice, credit card and Paypal. According to information from Netcomm Suisse, consumers in Switzerland prefer paying with PayPal (43 percent), credit card (40 percent) and cash on delivery (39 percent).Other popular payment methods in Switzerland are online bank transfer, prepaid or rechargeable credit card, post-office issues cheque, Sofort/direct bank transfer, payment in-store after reserving online and bank transfer in branch.
The ecommerce market in Switzerland
Swiss consumers have spent 8.4 billion euros on products and services online in 2015. This is a growth of over 13 percent compared to 2014. Approximately 40 percent of the ecommerce market consists of the online sale of products, while the other 60 percent is based on services. Switzerland is also one of the top three markets in Europe for cross-border purchases, with 61 percent of online purchases being dedicated to cross-border purchases.
In 2017, Asendia published a report about Swiss ecommerce, in which it was noted that smartphones are now being used by 75 percent of the Swiss population, up 50 percent in two years, and 37 percent of those who don’t have a device expect to get one in the next 12 months. They are already used by 68 percent of online shoppers.
Big online stores in Switzerland
The top 100 online shops in Switzerland generated 3.4 billion euros in 2013. Currently, online store Digitec.ch is the biggest online store in Switzerland (€661 million euros in sales in 2016). Other popular online stores in Switzerland are Amazon.de, Nespresso.com/ch, Zalando.ch and LeShop.ch. Also Brack.ch, Coop, Microspot.ch, Nettoshop.ch and Exlibris are in the top 10 of online Swiss stores. The top 10 of popular online stores in Switzerland, according to Y&R Group Switzerland: Ebookers, Nespresso, Digitec, Ex Libris, iTunes, Amazon, Ticketcorner, Zalando, SBB, Ricardo.
Latest news about Switzerland
The entry of Amazon into the Swish ecommerce market seems imminent. The American ecommerce giant has signed a cooperation agreement with Swiss Post, which means the postal agency will carry out customs clearance for Amazon in the near future.
Switzerland is a very interesting market for online retailers looking to expand their ecommerce business. It’s an wealthy and online savvy market, while Swiss consumers love to buy from international online stores. But there are many things you should know when you want to export to Switzerland.
In the near future, business customers and consumers from Swiss Post can benefit from a new service, which will roll out nationwide. Swiss Post will offer the ability to deliver parcels within four different time slots.
Strelsson, Switzerland’s biggest menswear manufacturer, opened an online shop where consumers won’t need to pay money to get a fashion item. In order to be the owner of a trench coat or pair of jeans, consumers need to collect a certain amount of Facebook likes on a shared post.
Zur Rose Group, one of the leading pure play online pharmacies in Europe, has launched its initial public offering. The company wants to use the funds raised primarily to accelerate its growth strategy and to further expand its position as pure play ecommerce pharmacy in Europe.
Last update: October 2017